Print this page

Chronology of St James Parish

Saint James Church, 73 North Road currently Brighton Vic 3186 for a time Elsternwick, for a time Gardenvale, for a time Brighton …

1853 Land grant to the Catholic Church - North Road Gardenvale
1861 Core of the current presbytery was built as centre of the Brighton Mission
1880s Melbourne's boom years - Saint James became centre of new Mission named the 'Elsternwick Mission'
1882 First wooden Church on the present site and doubled as schoolhouse on weekdays
1883 Arrival of the Presentation Sisters, from Wagga Wagga
1888 Presbytery was enlarged more or less to its current form
1891 Completion of main body of the Church
Celebration of the First Mass - 15th November 1891, blessed and opened by Bishop Reville, Co-Adjutor Bishop of Sandhurst Diocese
1892 Establishment of the Parish of Saint James
1924 Completion of stage two of Church (Transepts, apse, chapels and sacristies were added)
1934 Church consecrated
1939 Completion of opus sectile work in main sanctuary and side chapels
1990 Installation of Bell tower and Bells (total cost $500,000)
1991 Centenary celebrations
2010 Completion and opening of the Building Education Revolution Project
Resurfacing of parish tennis courts
The New Normal process gets underway
2012 Year of consolidating our Parish's Co-responsible New Normal and establishing our Parish Pastoral Leadership Team to administer it
2013 Establishment of our Parish Pastoral Leadership Team and it gets underway with Jan Grant, David Taranto & ...
2015 St James Church was destroyed in a suspected arson attack in March 2015. The fire gutted the historical and beautiful church, destroying its roof and everything inside, including mosaics, stained glass windows, the altar, organ, and pews. The flames licked the belltower and smoke billowed across Melbourne. View the Photo Gallery from before the fire here.
2020 Rebuilding of church continues which will include a special dedication to all those devastated by clergy abuse.